Happy Birthday, Monty Python

Michael Palin: Every Sperm is Sacred

Can you imagine a world where we didn’t have Monty Python? As we mentioned before in respect to a precursor of Python, Mark Evanier has stated (and I wish I could find the original link) that if Python had occurred just a bit earlier, it would have been in black and white rather than color and thus subject to the BBC’s policy of wiping. It’s just too mind-numbing to consider, honestly.

However, we don’t have to consider it. We can instead revel–and indeed, wallow–in it. Team Python has put some of their greatest hits online, so we can use them to help celebrate this glorious day forty years ago when Python first hit the television. Back then they were just glad to have the price of a cup of tea.

Here’s what I think is one of the best musical numbers to ever hit the big screen. No lie.

Direct link for the feedreaders.

I would also advise you to check out one of my favorite Python bits we’ve ever posted, in which they invade a morning chat show in 1975.

Where to Find Stuff
By | 2017-09-24T22:58:57+00:00 October 5th, 2009|Stimuli|6 Comments

6 Comments

1. Wayne October 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm

a couple of Monty Python Reunion scheduled TV appearances coming up:

Oct 15 NBC 7am-11am Today
    Oct 15 ABC 9am Live with Regis and Kelly
    (these are the stations and times for me, check your local listings for this date)

2. Widge October 6, 2009 at 12:17 am

Excellent. Thanks, Wayne.

3. Wayne October 6, 2009 at 12:59 am

more info about Oct 15 (from Wikipedia):

An official 40th anniversary Monty Python reunion event will take place in New York City on October 15, 2009, where they will receive a Special Award from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

so, that’s why the TV that day… and perhaps some more in the days leading up to it?

4. Wayne October 6, 2009 at 2:33 pm

about that AM America clip:
    1) I was a pre-teen in ’75 and I have never heard of AM America!
    2) what ever became of Stephanie Edwards? usually these network morning show hosts go on to do other things you might have heard of
    3) Graham Chapman. Stephen Fry. Separated at birth?

5. Wayne October 11, 2009 at 4:03 pm

one more upcoming TV appearance for the troupe:

(overnight) Oct 14-15 12:37am NBC Jimmy Fallon