SCIENCE! Sugar vs. High Fructose Corn Syrup Part 2!

Mountain Dew Throwback Round 2 design

So a few months ago I started thinking: all health bits aside, should I be so gung ho about sugar vs. high fructose corn syrup from a taste perspective? I did a blind triangle taste test and surprised myself with the results. One of the things I couldn’t do at the time–since back then there wasn’t any left to be found–was pit Mountain Dew against Mountain Dew Throwback to see if I could taste the difference. But now, Mountain Dew Throwback is finally back and hit Atlanta the other day. So that very night I sat in front of my webcam and tried it out. And here is what happened:

Direct link for the feedreaders.

While your results may obviously vary, I urge everybody to try this for themselves. Post the results in the comments if you like. I’m intrigued to know what other people find.

Where to Find Stuff
By | 2017-09-24T22:55:52+00:00 January 2nd, 2010|Stimuli|8 Comments

8 Comments

1. Diane January 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I don’t have the problem about worrying about surgar vs hfcs. I drink diet. lol

2. Terie April 21, 2010 at 10:59 am

I drink Pepsi Throwback. I’m old enough to remember days before HFCS in soft drinks. I MUCH prefer the taste of sugar in Pepsi! Being diabetic I drink little of it though. I checked my glucose levels after a HFCS Pepsi vs Sugar Pepsi and it confirmed to me that I will eat NOTHING with HFCS ever again. WOW! Up a little with sugar but thru the roof with high fructose corm syrup! Read labels, it’s in everything! Sugar just tastes better in soft drinks! Thanks you Pepsico for giving us a choice!

3. MountainDew Drinker March 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

As an avid Mountain Dew drinker, I thought I’d try the “throwback” version. Perhaps it was just me, or the one can I drank, but I could immediately tell the difference and I didn’t like it. I actually thought it tasted kind of gross. However, I’m the kind of guy that can tell the difference between can and bottle, and always prefer can.

4. Crystal March 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I have recently been drinking the Mountain Dew Throwback. At first, I didn’t like it; however, I’m beginning to like the taste. I, too, can tell the difference between a bottle and a can. I actually prefer the bottle. It tastes so much better to me.
    It is interesting that the high fructose made Terie’s sugar rise quite alot; while the sugar only made it go up just a little bit. I’m going to have to test this on myself. While I’m not a diabetic, diabetes does run in my family and I will have to keep a check on this in the future. I have been told that hfcs is very bad for us.

5. Ann September 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I started drinking original Mountain Dew when I was a kid when my grandfather introduced it to me. As they changed and went to HFCS, I knew the difference. When Throwback came out for both Pepsi and Mountain Dew, I no longer buy the other. I drink only the Throwback… I am so happy they have brought this back….

6. Melissa July 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I can tell the difference right away too! I personally don’t care for the Throw Back. I gives an after taste that reminds me of Aspertame.

7. s September 14, 2014 at 4:00 am

Throwback is not as good. I have synesthesia and it tastes “hot”.

8. Widge September 18, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Fascinating, S. How do some other drinks taste?