Need Coffee Dot Com Coffee - It's Here!
Need Coffee Dot Com!

Tool's "Vicarious" Will Slap Your Ass and Call You Betty

By Widge - posted 04.14.06 @ 11:46 pm
Tool 10000 days

On Cypress Avenue has posted the new leaked Tool single, "Vicarious." It starts off sounding like typical Tool, like something right off of Lateralus, but by the end it gets so freaking heavy that space starts to bend around it for God's sake. Very, very nice.

Pre-order the album 10,000 Days here.

Update: We're getting hammered from all directions on this post. Thanks to everyone for coming and joining us in our love of music that grinds you into a fine powder, sticks you in a bag, and steeps you for its tea. But enough about tea...stick around and have some coffee!

Update: I've been inspired to convert my review of Salival into WordPress out of the archives. Enjoy, amigos.

Read More About:

Widgett Walls is Need Coffee's Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. He is the author of the novel Mystics on the Road to Vanishing Point, and two collections of short stories, Magnificent Desolation and Something Else: The Complete First Season. He is also co-author of the children's book There's a Zombie in My Treehouse! All of those books are available in paperback or for the Kindle from Amazon. He is also the narrator and publisher of the first unabridged recording of Seneca's letters, available here. He is active on both Twitter and Facebook. (If you befriend him on Facebook, do say you came via Need Coffee.) He lives and works in Atlanta, Georgia. He hardly ever sleeps.

Keep Browsing:

« | »

A Mob Numbering 85

Idk if anyone will read this but the single was released today (april 17th) and saying it will slap your ass and call you betty is one hell of an understatement... Vicarious is one orgasmic song the way Danny Carey tears it up with his off pace drumming just makes you want to cry in joy. Do yourself a favor and cop a listen.

Comment by Dan — April 17, 2006 @ 11:45 am

I heard the song a few days ago and it is phenominal. this album will definately be worth the 5 years of waiting!!

Comment by Chris — April 17, 2006 @ 1:46 pm

I don't think it sounds like "typical tool." Nothing they ever do is typical, so in a sense it is typically like them by being so untypical

Comment by Cody — April 17, 2006 @ 3:58 pm

Cody: You've summed up what I was trying to say better than I did. :)

Comment by Widge — April 17, 2006 @ 4:22 pm

OH MY GOD! I just heard it! I am sooooooooo excited to see them live this year! How could they possibly top Lateralus! Vicarious ROCKS!

Comment by lisa — April 17, 2006 @ 6:59 pm

Great comments! Just wanted to add some suspicions.
    1. As it was said above - it's just so untipical
    2. new album cover band title - fool
    3. la-la-la-la sang in vicarious verse
    4. it's a single (remember Aenema advertising)
    5. reminding: no fucking single. no fucking compromise
    6. this single is not released commercially - guys just stay true
    7. "Vicarious" is just the very first song of the album
    8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_Days

Comment by Moris — April 17, 2006 @ 7:13 pm

how can i hear this song some one please tell me if i wait much longer to hear this song my eyes are gonna pop out of my head that might sound pretty cool to you but it will suck for me so let me know thanks.

Comment by William — April 17, 2006 @ 7:27 pm

amazing, though elements sound like they were borrowed from previous albums. Vicarious will no doubt get better when i can hear it in the context of the album

Comment by pileofme — April 17, 2006 @ 7:28 pm

As for the la-la-la verse, sounds like he saying Lie-lie-lie-lies

Comment by Johny — April 17, 2006 @ 8:19 pm

10.

Son of a bitch! That was awesome! And if the band isn't pissed off enough, imagine how much anger rock they will release when they realize their 1-day old song is so easily obtainable, for FREE.

Comment by Jeff — April 17, 2006 @ 8:30 pm

11.

It seems borrowed from previous albums because they always do that with some of their songs. It's more or less like saying "let's start the journey again from the same point we finished it the last time"

Comment by ThirdEye — April 17, 2006 @ 8:34 pm

12.

ThirdEye, agreed: it's one of those things where I figure they want you to get comfortable, familiar, and then they start to really crank things to 11 and take it further. Guys, don't misconstrue: I think it rocks huge balls. Excited as hell about this album now.

Comment by Widge — April 17, 2006 @ 8:38 pm

13.

Hot damn.

I have no doubt that this will be a phenomenal album. I can't wait until it comes out. 8D

Comment by Tera — April 17, 2006 @ 8:43 pm

14.

Although I got this song free off the net, I will GLADLY pay for the CD when it comes out. Not only is it worth it to check out the consistantly phenominal art, but this band deserves every ounce of support we can give them. Even if the band will only see 75 cents from the sale, it's 75 cents they worked damned hard to earn.
    Not to mention, people taking music from the net is one of the huge reasons rock radio is dying. A large percentage of rock listeners are stealing their songs from the net. The powers that be at radio stations look at album sales as the determining factor to what they decide to play on their play lists.

All of that B.S. aside, the song PWNS! Tool has delivered the goods yet again. I am creaming my pants in anticipation to hear the rest of the CD.

Comment by Dreadnaught — April 17, 2006 @ 9:08 pm

15.

FUCKING AWESOME!!! My heart skipped a beat when I heard this. I can't wait till May 2. I am positive the album will kick major ass.

Comment by Nick — April 17, 2006 @ 9:44 pm

16.

Awesome song!!! Looks like Tool has outdone themselves again. It is amazing to see these guys progress with every album. There are a lot of miles traveled from Opiate to 10,000 Days. Phenomenal!!!

Comment by Chris — April 17, 2006 @ 11:13 pm

17.

Dreadnaught: Yeah, it's amazing how when you hear music *worth buying* you WANT to buy it, don't you? Be nice if the music industry paid attention to that, eh? Hell, I wish I could buy the CD directly from Tool so they could get all my money...

Comment by Widge — April 17, 2006 @ 11:43 pm

18.

This song is a complete masterpiece from beginning to end, with the drumming complexity and undertones of songs such as the grudge, the end part of schism, and the patient. This song is brilliant and i think the album is going to absolutely blow all other tool out of the water, which on its own blows anything else out of the water that i have heard.

Comment by Adam — April 18, 2006 @ 12:58 am

19.

Comment by Crumb — April 18, 2006 @ 1:38 am

20.

Also, did anyone else think his voice was under-mixed?

Comment by Crumb — April 18, 2006 @ 1:39 am

21.

Crumb: I dunno...I couldn't tell if it was. I haven't been able to trust my hearing for years. :/

Comment by Widge — April 18, 2006 @ 2:00 am

22.

Also, did anyone else think his voice was under-mixed

I think so...

Comment by Cerbear — April 18, 2006 @ 3:45 am

23.

Man, was that good or WAS THAT GOOD?!? Fuck! they've outdone themselves! I just can't wait till the 2nd... BTW, The ending just kicks so much of ASSSSS!!!!

Comment by Yasas — April 18, 2006 @ 4:59 am

24.

This was better than sex. Spine tingling stuff, especially when maynard lets loose.

Comment by Troymax — April 18, 2006 @ 5:51 am

25.

These guys really are somthing special!! fucken amazing!!!! no words can sum up there ability to make such mind blowing music time and time again!! the new single gives me that feeling inside my gut that i only get when im listining to tool! Cant wait for the album to come out!is the shit!!!

Comment by Jase — April 18, 2006 @ 7:50 am

26.

ok i have to say its good! very good! but he sounds like hes still in apc,that kinda annoys me and the meshuggah infuence IS strong, thats ok.... but did anyone else get this really strange feeling towards the end of the song where u jsut cannot relax at all anymore and u kinda feel all your muscles tightening for no reason other than the music? shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!
    tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Comment by Barry — April 18, 2006 @ 11:01 am

27.

when they say "Vicarious" they mean it! I was air drumming until I felt like my arms were gonna fly off! They my body went into spasms just like Barry pointed out! lol Haven't been this excited for new music in years. This is what I save my pennies to buy and support!

Comment by sean — April 18, 2006 @ 11:46 am

28.

Holy shit! I have to admit that although i love Tool and have every one of their cds and their EP, my fav has always been Aenima, hopefully the rest of this album will sound more like it than Lateralus, although i will love them no matter what. The ending kicked ass and the whole song took me on a journey, man i cant wait till the album comes out, im gonna get stoned as shit and listen to it like 50 times YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Issak — April 18, 2006 @ 12:10 pm

29.

By the way, Lateralus was great too, it was just that there weren't any special songs like Stinkfist, Hooker with a Penis, Aenima, and Third Eye, Aenima is my favorite song ever ANY FUCKING TIME ANY FUCKING DAY LEARN TO SWIM SEE YOU DOWN IN ARIZONA BAY!!!!!!!

Comment by Issak — April 18, 2006 @ 12:17 pm

30.

Okay, everyone's talking about this new song, but I can't find it anywhere...how are you all hearing it?

Comment by GVC — April 18, 2006 @ 1:47 pm

31.

The link to On Cypress Avenue in the article. That site has the song. Go. Enjoy. Report back to us.

Comment by Widge — April 18, 2006 @ 1:55 pm

32.

I was just in Denver. Go to http://www.area93.com/main.html. Follow the Tool link at the top of the page. You need to take a customer survey in order to have access to the online stream of Vicarious: then you can listen as often as you like! Enjoy!

Comment by Mikey! — April 18, 2006 @ 2:42 pm

33.

Also, did anyone else think his voice was under-mixed?
    Yep, although I think that MJK doesn't want to be 'the leadsinger' of a band, everybody is equal in a band...his voice is far away. Only in the last verse it breaks out and leaves you flapping your ears...still, great song.
    Dirk

Comment by dirk — April 18, 2006 @ 4:36 pm

34.

i'm not too wild about maynard's vocals here. i just hope he doesn't maintain that voice for the whole album. also i love the song but i still feel like it's trying to go somewhere that the band repeatedly prevents it from going, seems like it has some points where there's a huge build up of energy that is waiting to explode but the band just kills it instead..even at the end.

Comment by eric — April 18, 2006 @ 4:39 pm

35.

Man, I just love Tool.

Jethro Tool.

I used to change his light bulbs or some shit...

Comment by Cubu Ashiru — April 18, 2006 @ 4:45 pm

36.

song kicks ass, i hate the part where it sounds like disturbed though, the constant breaking of guitar and short stacatto notes. it's just not their style. BRING BACK THE CHORUS AND PHASER ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still suspicious about it, i mean it's that tool but they always talk about how they dont like mainstream and things like that, so why would they produce a song even significantly mainstream, but if it is then i stand corrected.

Comment by Andrew — April 18, 2006 @ 5:03 pm

37.

I listened to it last night. My man tried to keep Vicarious from me but I stole his IPod. I've been listening to it since yesterday! I am SO excited for the CD release!!!!! Fuck yeah!

Comment by hotandbothered — April 18, 2006 @ 7:09 pm

38.

When I first heard it, I'd admit...I wasn't as excited as I was after listening for the 2-3-4-5-6-7 and so on and so on. Its a typical tool song, you have to listen to it till you want it more! Tool is a band sent by god!

Comment by Johny — April 18, 2006 @ 7:45 pm

39.

Danny Carey - He is the engine behind this unstoppable creative machine in music. Danny's drums are such a central part of tool's music it frustrates me to see all the praise directed towards maynard and adam. Every single member in tool could front their own band, they are all virtuoso's, but Danny..speaking as a drummer who has taken jazz lessons for 11 yrs and plays all styles of music, i can say he is the single greatest drummer in ALL of rock music today. The only drummer who comes close to him technically is Carter Beauford. Danny's unique tom rythms and intricate hi-hat patterns have such a unique tonal quality that no one can duplicate. He is walking on another plane...I seriously think Danny might be an alien, and the whole band for that matter...they are just too damn talented its unhuman-like.

Comment by brian — April 18, 2006 @ 8:29 pm

40.

Everyone reserve your judgment ... you cant possibly have any attachment to the song at this stage. We can only talk of the superficial observations like the production etc (which is incredible) My advice ... take some drugs, sit down with a really good stereo and listen to the intire album before even thinking about your opinion.

Comment by Jesse — April 18, 2006 @ 10:12 pm

41.

Brian: In my own defense for praising Maynard, it's because I was a vocalist and I can understand what he's doing. So that's easy for me. It's hard for me to pick out anybody in the band, though, since they function so well as a unit that I honestly picture them as this infernal machine, just having at it, destroying the countryside. :)

Comment by Widge — April 18, 2006 @ 10:23 pm

42.

Oh man, as the guy said at the top of the page--I too am about to cream my pants. Not only is the single "Vicarious" truly epic--but I know for sure that the entire album will be worth all the money I pay for it and more. I can't wait for it--I think it was Adam Jones (the guitarist)who said that the album was going different places--it had the angst of the first album, "Opiate", and the polotical resentment of war and our president (evident in "Vicarious"). I'm going to love the new theme of the album and am anxiously awaiting Maynard's excellent--no perfect--songwriting and ability to mesmerize you with his singing ability. Rock it hard, Tool. Only 2 weeks till May 2!

Comment by Michael Cornell — April 18, 2006 @ 10:23 pm

43.

Tool once again doesn't dissappoint. Although I had to listen to it a few times (as always) to really grasp most of its effect. But as with all Tool albums, it really has to be heard in context of the album and not just as a single. And as for Maynards vocals and Adam's playing, you can't really single out any members of the band playing better or worse, they really are (as someone said) a machine. It's just a different sound that we'll all become accustomed to...and then move on from when the next album comes out.

Comment by Kel — April 19, 2006 @ 12:57 am

44.

I couldn't get the smile off my face after hearing it. By songs end it was heavy as fuck and as angst ridden as we like it! I'm hoping 10,000 Days gives as good mileage as lateralus, which took me about three years to crack. The new song seems to have eschewed the soft/LOUD dynamic for an increasingly intense blanket assault

Comment by christian wilkinson — April 19, 2006 @ 1:53 am

45.

im just gonna throw this out here, but did anyone feel like they put this song together in ten minutes. seriously, the riff in the beginning sounds exactly the same as the patient. come on, five years, im a huge tool fan, but seriously, their style has changed from album to album; i am simply not hearing the progression i would expect from them, and with the delicacy of the issues maynard is presenting i feel the lyrics are sub-par for tool as well. i enjoyed the song, but after hearing it i am seriously worried about the quality of this long anticipated album.

Comment by wtf — April 19, 2006 @ 2:32 am

46.

Boy did this song put me in a kick ass mood today when i heard it for the first time. Even better they are stopping by Dallas for a small venue show for me and my 2000 biggest TOOL fans four days after we all hear the new shit!!! Are you kidding me?

Comment by metzger — April 19, 2006 @ 4:59 am

47.

like the dude above me, I don't think this single is that great (it still kicks a decent amount of ass). But, I'm still going to buy the album and I'm pretty sure it'll kick ass. remember a single isn't the quota for the entire album, well atleast for tool it isn't. did you predict what aenema sounded like after only hearing the stinkfist single back in 1990something? in short, this album should kick ass

Comment by john livingston — April 19, 2006 @ 11:00 am

48.

I must keep reminding myself that this is only a single.
    I must keeep reminding myself that this is only a single.
    I must keeep reminding myself that this is only a single.
    I must keeep reminding myself that this is only a single.

Comment by Kirk Cameron — April 19, 2006 @ 11:08 am

49.

I agree that Aenima has been my favorite, this sounds like it is leaning towards that sound. ..thought it was la la at first, but definitely lies....LOVE TOOL, LOVE Danny Carey

Comment by Raestar — April 19, 2006 @ 3:21 pm

50.

The song is certainly not as complex as those on Lateralus (The Grudge, Schism, Lateralus, etc) as far as crazy timings and intricate melodies. This dissapoints me just slightly, but it is just one song from the album (and my brother somehow has the entire album and says "its a total trip") and truth is I think I'm more into this tune than I have ever been with any Tool song save for maybe stinkfist (one of the greatest songs of all time period) And stinkfist was also about as complex as mary had a little lamb compared to the stuff on lateralus. Its the dynamic power and unique tones, generated by 4 individuals who become absolutely seamless in a musical context, that make Tool the greatest rock band in history.

Comment by Mrs. Doomhammer — April 19, 2006 @ 3:33 pm

51.

Word on the street is that the name 10,000 days, and all the tracknames are an other (brilliant) Aprilfools joke... 10,000 days is said to be a parody on 10,000 fists (the crap album of shit band Disturbed)... this might explain names of songs as 'The Pot'... I find the single ok for Tool, genius for any other band but believe when I say, the album (what ever name it carries) will kick some serious ass, there's no other option.

Comment by Jesse (an other one as the one above) — April 19, 2006 @ 3:38 pm

52.

If anyone cant wait much longer and just wants some type of info on the new album you can read a review of 10,000 days, at http://toolshed.down.net/news/tales/10kdaysprereview.html.

Comment by Johny — April 19, 2006 @ 4:17 pm

53.

Considering that "Vicarious" is the opening track, I'm not surprised it sounds like what has come before. I find I'm much better inclined to enjoy a new album by a band I admire, especially if it's been a while since I've heard from them, if they take me gradually in a new direction instead of just doing a complete departure. Case in point: Living Colour's Collide0scope album. You start that album and it sounds like they picked right up where they left off with Stain, but then later in the album, you have new and different musical ideas. Until the album hits and we see this song in context, I don't think anybody should freak. I sympathize with the person above who took a while to get into Lateralus. Tool has done enough to where I trust them to not let me down. They haven't so far and I've been given no reasons to doubt them.

Comment by Widge — April 19, 2006 @ 5:35 pm

54.

im starting to think tool is trying too hard :( good song still though

Comment by Issak — April 20, 2006 @ 1:19 am

55.

Just listened to the entire album tonight. It is the album of ages, it will go down as the classic of our generation. Unfortunatly with that will come the stereotypicalness of Pink Floyd's "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON." But those of us that lived it will know the meaning behind it and the past 5 monsters. I said in Comment number 3 that it will be untypical. Just wait.

Comment by Cody — April 20, 2006 @ 2:54 am

56.

The lyrics are weak, real weak IMHO and I have and like every other tool album (except emotive,etc). I always liked tool cause the lyrics are kinda shady and deep. This shit is weak. When did tool become a up to the minute social commentary band ? People watch Nascar for the car crashes, thanks for the update Tool.

Comment by Rory — April 20, 2006 @ 3:02 am

57.

It's an awesome song! But i really don't think it's that inovative. Especially after 5 years. I still love it though.

Comment by Kyle — April 20, 2006 @ 3:28 am

58.

brilliant song, even from the perspective of someone who isnt a metalhead or a tool fan, maynard is a genius , tool rocks

Comment by luch — April 20, 2006 @ 5:53 am

59.

I have been waiting for this album for too long....I agree that it does have the feel of Lateralus- a continuation, another chapter in the ever-evolving entity we have come to know as TOOL. I am looking forward to seeing the theater tour next month in Minneapolis. Very few artists hit with such an unbridled ferocity. So many nu-metal artists have tried to carry the torch that TOOL has kept burning for almost 15 years. The lyrics have always been thought-provoking, and I think this album will stand the test of time as well as their past catalog, including any contemporary commentary on the state of the world. Finally.

Comment by Impeach Bush the Liar — April 20, 2006 @ 2:22 pm

60.

For me "Vicarious" sounds like A Perfect Circle not like Tool. It doesn't have that phenomenal, dark atmosphere but I'll be waiting impatiently for the whole album

Comment by Nimrod — April 20, 2006 @ 4:54 pm

61.

Yeah, it kicks your ass beyond next week, but you people honestly think that TOOL and the record company "leaked" this single on accident??? If so, the RIAA would have yanked it, sued the website and fined the record company...get a grip guys..this was calculated and purposefully done as a marketing gimmick to appeal to the "mp3 get it now and don't wait for brilliance" retards who would rather steal from a band then buy the album and support the shit out of a band that has not sounded this incredible ever and will never by rivaled!!!! Following in a close 2nd is A Perfect Circle...stupid douchers!!!!

Comment by Atrophy — April 21, 2006 @ 2:29 am

62.

Atrophy:

"I'll download this Tool song! That'll put a spoke in their wheel!"

"Unless they're counting on it."

"I won't download this Tool song! That'll put a spoke in their wheel!"

Comment by Widge — April 21, 2006 @ 2:58 am

63.

Awesome and flawless as usual... Do we expect anything less from masters of progressive and innovative rock?

Indeed this albumn will be a classic of not only our generation, but of all music that has come before and will come after.

Nice Rosencrantz and Guildenstern analogy Widge.

Comment by Spiralling Inertia — April 21, 2006 @ 7:25 am

64.

Heard the song, sounds great, you guys talking about the sound quality should bear in mind that it's only a crappy mp3 and the CD will give far higher resolution. I suspect this album will be a masterpiece like Lateralus. Can't wait.

Comment by Tom — April 21, 2006 @ 10:10 am

65.

Well after listening to this song many times its grown on me alot. at first i was dissapointed but then looked at the lyrics. Its a bit deeper than just watching tv for death and violence, I thought it meant more that we arent living our own lives anymore living through others/ idolising them. it always takes me a few times to really like a Tool song, i need to know the lyrics before i can really enjoy it.
    Im sure that this is the correct title for the album as Keenen told the press that his mother went through a stroke causing her to be partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound for 27 years, approx. 10,000 days.

Comment by martin — April 21, 2006 @ 12:23 pm

66.

Why cant we just admit it. The drums are this song. The time signature is somthing awesome. Lalalalalala LIE.....

Comment by Chrisso — April 22, 2006 @ 1:49 am

67.

"Vicarious" is in no way about the war or Bush. And Tool has always made social commentary. Remember they're not Three Days Grace or new Green Day.

Comment by gary — April 22, 2006 @ 3:07 pm

68.

first time i listened to it i wasnt that suprised....then listened to it a couple times more , this song gives me the chills! it is such an intense and beautiful song! i'm sooo excited to see them in oakland! fuck yeah!

Comment by Ang — April 22, 2006 @ 8:32 pm

69.

Well, I don't know how it happened but a friend called me and said he had the new disc. these computer days of 2006 make it tough to keep a secret. I had to hear it, I mean how do i wait for something from the band I respect the most. It is another masterpiece. I am 33 and cought every show since 93 and will be in dallas may 8th!! people say there are samples of this and that, f em!!! this record is kickin harder than ever! I feel lucky as all get out to have heard it and will buy it on the 2nd!! no question, they will get my donation for sure. A must have. This is the band, ya'll will love it if you really "love" them.

Comment by Jambi!!!! — April 23, 2006 @ 4:26 am

70.

I love this song. I heard 2 others on Myspace, one claiming to be Vicarious but it sounds nothing like the real Vicarious, but the song kicks absolute ass! In the begining Maynard Maynard carries a tuned scream that is unreal!!! I know its not Vicarious, but it still kicks ass, and so does Vicarious. I also heard another song claiming to be "Jambi". It rules! You think you've heard unusual drumming, wait until you hear that song, the drumming is unlike anything you have ever heard before! I am stoked about this new album!

Comment by Killioughtta — April 23, 2006 @ 3:02 pm

71.

This single sounded weird at first, but once i got used to it i realized tht this is some of their greatest work. wut i dont understand is how come such a great band only got a 2,000 seat arena in chicago? i now hanve nowhere to see them live, becuz the show in chicago sold out before i even woke up.

Comment by Zack — April 23, 2006 @ 9:00 pm

72.

"I was a bit disappointed. Of course, the song was rhythmically and harmonically perfect; I have no complaints there, but that was never a concern. Maynard, of all people, threw me a curve. His lyrics seemed to step down from Lateralus, and his voice seemed what you'd expect from a 'rock band'. Tool should not be a band! The Tool I know is a machine. However, I need to hear the rest of the album and the song, for that matter, many more times to make an accurate judgement."

---i would have to agree with this comment...it still took me for a total ride and i freaked out listening..but it seems cliche almost and maynards voice did not strike a nerve in me as much as it always has before...
    idk
    may fucking 2nd hurry up!

Comment by krista — April 23, 2006 @ 10:07 pm

73.

I heard all songs from the new CD and ... what can i say - its great :)
    Dont worry Tool will never dissapoint you

Comment by F23 — April 24, 2006 @ 6:53 am

74.

Man, oh man, awesome song. I know it came out week ago, but only now am I truly coming to appreciate its greatness. The first time I heard it, I wasn't exceptionally impressed, and was still waiting for the "big finish" when the song was over. Albeit, I heard it for the first time with only one earphone. (My friend and I downloaded it in fifth period in the school library the day it came out, and we had to share my pair of headphones.) Since then, though, I've listened to this song probably upwards of 15 times, and have heard it on the college station a couple of times. It pretty much kicks ass! It's closest to Lateralus out of all of their past works, imo, but has its own vibe and is a lot harder too. May 2nd can't come soon enough. If I'm lucky, Hastings will have a midnight release party on monday, so I can go pick it up then. Gonna be awesome!

Comment by Josh — April 24, 2006 @ 3:47 pm

75.

Vicarious is the summation of every critical reflection on dangerously sensational television and the human response to spectacle. What points many touch on in literature and music about this topic, Tool sculpts and molds into a pinnacle icon of what everyone was thinking but can't perfectly express. To those who expect this to be a lofty, super-abstruse track simply because Tool's songs appear more that way with each album (Lateralus more than Aenima, and with Anima more than Undertow), remember where they came from. Aenima (song) was lyrically up front. Ticks and Leeches was up front. These are men, the live in the same world you and I do, and they're going to reflect on worldly happenings. We shouldn't always sing about Saturn. APC fans - you will enjoy this track. Tool fans MUST set aside their growing desire to hear a polymorph on "Reflection." There is, in fact, some transcendence in this track: "Credulous, divest your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men" To Rory: You're entitled to your opinion about a more "shallow" track than usual, it's a valid point actually. But think hard and listen a couple more times (We all know it takes 10 to 100 times to digest this stuff). The song is symphonic in nature, it morphs, it bends, it does the tonal backflips a la characteristic tool. It's got the depth, vocal range, great verbal choices, some of the sickest drumming we've heard from Danny thus far. I'm drooling at the thought of receiving my Amazon pre-order. Long live the masterpiece band Tool.

Comment by Jon C — April 25, 2006 @ 11:04 am

76.

I'm glad to see i wasn't the only one that didn't felt completely blown by this song until now (actually i felt dissapointed), but i'm kind of feeling what the song means but i could not grasp its significance before (i remember this experience with "the grudge", and its one of my favorite songs now)... but i guess i cannot really speak my mind with the truth until i hear the whole album, its a nice song either way, i wasn't expecting something like this though, but i bet it gets better... it always does

Comment by Chris — April 26, 2006 @ 1:47 am

77.

I disagree completely with any and all complaints about the lyrics of this song. They aren't transcendent? Likenening us to vampires, feeding on the blood of tragedy? It's just as introspective as anything ever written by Tool, and also socially pertinent. Even though I cannot go to the Toronto show and it is their only Canadian date so far, I'm very very happy that they've gone back to SMALLER venues. This is the BEST way to see Tool for the full experience. I've seen them live 5 times, twice at festivals, but nothing will top the first time at the warehouse in Toronto where I and only about 2500 other people got to see the blue/white Maynard of the Aenima tour. For those of you lucky enough to get tickets to a smaller venue, count yourself blessed! They are much more interactive with the crowd, even taking a request at the show I saw (it was Opiate. I wanted jerk-off...oh well) But to those of you who have stated the lyrics are a 'step down' from Lateralus....wake the FUCK up! This song is brilliant in all facets, and just because it isn't spouting esoteric lyrics about spirituality and third eyes doesn't mean the lyrics aren't still incredible and, as I said, socially pertinent. Those 'holier than thou' Tool fans (you KNOW who you are) that expect every song to be a collage of metaphoric reasoning, pull your head out of your ass! A whole album like that would be, well, straight pompous, as many of you are being. Hate me if you like, but I love Tool as much as anyone and think they hit the nail on the head with this one. If you want lofty, metaphoric, visual lyrics listen to Reflection. If you want to know how Tool TRULY feels about the world they live in, listen to this song. I think it's just as important in getting a glimpse into the minds of these geniuses as anything they've ever written.

Sir Smittius

Comment by Sir Smttius — April 26, 2006 @ 3:09 am

78.

is thjere something i'm missing? this sounds EXACTLY like everything on Lateralus.... which wasw really just a watered-down Aenima.
    Seriously, I don't want to be a hater just to hate, but all I can picture while I listen to this, is these guys getting older, fatter, and less and less cutting edge.
    I really really used to like Tool, and I was stoked about this album coming out, but it's just recycling at this point.
    I was hoping after the disappointment of Lateralus, they'd go back to changing it up each time, and trying to break some new ground, but this is just bullshit, I'm sorry.

Comment by omcps — April 26, 2006 @ 5:10 pm

79.

Disappointment of Lateralus??? Dude, do you have ears?

Comment by Feizel — April 29, 2006 @ 1:24 pm

80.

LA LA LA LAAA LAAA LAA LA LAME!

Comment by Bain — April 29, 2006 @ 4:53 pm

81.

Once again, Tool sets the standard of not being standard.All of the 10,000 wanna be bands of the new millenium must be visiting thier therapists about now.Putting Tool in any genre classification
    is absurd and music stores should just stock them in the Toolmusic section.I'm 4 degrees warmer by thier existence!!

Comment by Andy — April 30, 2006 @ 11:25 am

82.

[On my way to the local record shop to buy 10,000 days proudly wearing my Tool t-shirt]

Again how can they top every album they release. When I first hear AEnima I thought it was the best, then Lateralus. I heard Vicarious too. I dont think no one in this universe can critisize their art. They have alway exeeded our desires and expectations. And If anybodies going to download this album illegally Im going to have to curse that imbecile. So lets live the rest of our lives listening to this album shall we.
    -A Tool Fan from Sri Lanka!

Comment by Roshan — May 2, 2006 @ 2:39 pm

83.

Its the first album I have listened trough from start to finish from the first time. Got to say that the tunes are even better the second time.

Support TooL, buy the album.

Comment by Mike — May 5, 2006 @ 8:30 am

84.

OK does anyone know the true beat signiture for vicarious? I have a math intructor who thinks this is a must know

Comment by mathman — November 23, 2006 @ 10:54 pm

85.

anyone can tell me whats the time signature of the song vicarious by tool?

Comment by andre — December 5, 2006 @ 4:51 am